People who are very careful about their daily diet would think about their diet while going on a trip or hiking. Eating the right food will not only keep you healthy but will also help to increase your performance. So, for such people here we are giving some good ideas to carry fresh meals for your trip.
If you are looking for some fresh food recipes, then you can through the site named Easy Campfire Recipes. They are easy and nutritious recipes too. You can visit this URL for more details.
Fresh foods are never packed well. Hence it is always crushed in your backpack or makes us mess in it. So, in that case, you have to get down to packaged foods.
In the past, every packaged food contained sodium in it and was added with mixed flavor additives. In short, they were made more for long shelf life and fast re-hydration, leaving behind the nutrition and the ingredient quality. Today, it is much better as we have many choices available with us.
So below we are giving you some ideas on how to identify if the backpacking food is genuinely healthy or not:
- Do not go for those statements written on your backpacking meals, which say “made from real food”, “all-natural” and many more. Make sure you read the ingredient list mentioned on the box or container.
- Always check the ingredient list which mentions the following items like artificial food coloring, MSG, nitrates, synthetic preservatives, flavors, and hydrogenated fats. There might also be hidden ingredients under the name of natural flavors and spices. All these additives are added to your ingredient list to get those particular colors or flavors. It is always better to look for backpacking meals that have the ingredients like “organic and whole food “as they are nutritious for you.
- There are two types of methods that are used to increase the shelf life of food. It is either freeze-drying or dehydrating. The dehydrating method is sun drying where most of the nutrients are lost in the process while freeze-drying can retain many. So you need to check what method your food company has chosen to get the right one for you.
- Check where your product is made and in which country. As food quality and maintaining hygiene is very important to get fresh foods and every country follows the different sanitization method.
- Always check the servings which are mentioned on the packaged foods. There might be a possibility that the servings mentioned would not match the actual servings you take every day. Hence go for the total servings mentioned on your packaged list instead of serving size.
- Calories are very important in your diet while backpacking. While on a trip, a person would require a minimum of 3000 to 6000 calories per day. Hence check for calories on the label which should mention a minimum of 100 calories per ounce.
If you are concerned about your health while on a trip, you need to learn to decode the ingredient list before you buy the product.